ATC Syndicate Members Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 500th Blog

2 posters

Go down

The 500th Blog Empty Re: The 500th Blog

Post by ray the beancounter Sun May 22, 2016 10:23 pm

My first attempt at putting a reply on this blog unceremoniously disappeared before it published but was along the lines of how things have unfortunately slowed on this site and isn’t helped by my daytime (and of late night-time) profession as an accountant in public practice. I am right into my peak season and if I could work 24 hours a day I would still not be able to keep up with client demands.

To try and put a bit of balance into this I am helping my cousin (and brother-in-law – long story, one and the same person) with the restoration of a 34 foot kauri launch that was built in the mid 1960’s.
So weekdays I am mentally drained and on the weekends physically exhausted from self induced hard-labour.
The time and energy to update entries is a bit of a struggle at times and without Des and I contributing things just come to a standstill.

With regard to the 2012 syndicate horse Major Star I have mixed feelings about his departure. I am pleased that he is to have a second chance with another top quality trainer, Andy Gath, but I am apprehensive about him racing in Australia. In my humble opinion mile racing and the use of Lasix would have been a preferred option. The harder racing in Australia may prove to be a step too far for him – I do sincerely hope that I am wrong – Star deserves better than to become a demoralised also-ran. I would very much like to see the re-emergence of the old Star and the change of climate, change of trainer and change of surroundings will with luck bring the best out of him.

As to Belle, who knows. I need a crystal ball on this issue. Will she race again?, will she be served this season? The person that will probably have the greatest input to Belle’s future will be Barry Purdon as it will be he that indicates whether she has a chance at a comeback onto the racetrack and it will be his expressed opinion that will get published in the monthly newsletter and any notice of meeting in regard to Belle’s future. Publishing said opinion in a written form placed before syndicate members as good as guarantees a majority vote in favour of Barry’s opinion. There is no authorised forum to offer a dissenting opinion – and that appears to be the way that syndicate interaction will continue into the foreseeable future.

Onto the 2014 syndicate: It is great that we have two achieving horses in the syndicate. Bettor’s Pocket surprised the hell out of me when he won at Alexandra Park recently and I blame myself for not being on course for that special win. Too tired from work I had convinced myself that he would not win against that field and stayed at home to watch the race instead. I think that the neighbours would have heard me when he rounded the final bend and held on down the straight. He is a better than average horse and has likely got at least another couple of wins in him, but he is not a Jewel’s quality horse and cannot be compared to Jack. Jack is a class above and although he is a length below the best four olds going around at the moment he can time and time again remain competitive with these top horses.
Des you have got to be right – surely – it is his turn for a good draw in an Group 1 race. Good draw, a half-decent run, and he finishes in the first four at the finish. He has the ability he just needs the opportunity.

As to the third wheel in this syndicate – Major Change – I haven’t seen any results for this current weekends workouts so I basing my opinion on prior efforts. And it is his efforts that are under scrutiny. When he wants to be on the track he can make enough effort to finish in the first 5 across the finish line. It is a 50:50 call as to whether he wants to be on the track on the day – on the days he doesn’t want to be there he gives up a long way from the finish line and battles along at the tail of the field. Would a new trainer revive him – not in my opinion, I don’t think he has enough will to be a racehorse to justify the training cost and effort being invested in him.

Now onto the 2016 syndicate: I am really looking forward to see Miss Kitty hit the racetrack. She seems to be showing enough in her early preps with Barry Purdon to indicate that she has some ability and it will be exciting to see her turn this into results at the finish line. She will need to be carefully placed in her first few races initially whilst she learns some racetrack ringcraft. She will need to gain some experience before she tackles the Mark Purdon juggernaut.

As to Some Change – I was a dissenting voice in regards to his purchase and it doesn’t sit comfortably with me that we own half a horse owned by the syndicate manager – but I need to get passed that as the horse has shown enough promise in his early preps to pique the interest of trainer Geoff Small. I joined the syndicate to enjoy harness racing so it would still be good to see him succeed in some quality races.

This syndicate also has a third wheel and that is Extra Blast. He had two preps and still couldn’t be successfully gaited as a pacer. I am a betting person but the odds would have to be quite generous on him becoming even a C1.

I ummed and arrred about joining the next syndicate as my ability to participate over the past 12 months has diminished, but the opportunity to have the Dickie’s and Bunty Hughes as trainers were what really got me to commit. Bunty Hughes has a low number of horses in training but his strike rate with successful horses is exceptional, and the Dickie’s just seem to be going from strength to strength.
I am not a fan of the third trainer in the syndicate Steven Reid, but his selection of horse at the yearling sales – a full sister to Miss Kitty – was enough to seal the deal and to get me to join. Bring on some more well managed, well trained, well placed and well driven successful racehorses.
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter Tue May 17, 2016 10:07 pm

Des, I just spent 30 minutes typing out a rather long blog entry in response to your above post and due to a glitch either on my computer or on the website it disappeared before I got to post it. Some choice words followed.....
I will have another go tomorrow, I am too knackered to have another go now.
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

The 500th Blog Empty The 500th Blog

Post by Des Carruthers Tue May 17, 2016 3:48 pm

Who will be the 500th entry on this blog site? This entry is number 495. Have your say on any matter connected to the ATC Syndicates. With the sale of Major Star, ATC 2012 has Ideal Belle as the final horse and the discussion is about her future either as a racehorse involving the syndicate members or as a broodmare owned by someone else. ATC 2014 has two excellent performers in Bettors Pocket and The Faithful with the latter ranked 3rd in the Harness Jewels and certain to get a great barrier after his horrendous luck with barrier draws in recent group one events. The third horse Major Change seems to have lost form and/or reached his mark so the discussion is about the viability of his racing future. ATC 2016 have three horses, two of which showed promise in their first prep and are poised to hopefully show more this time in. The third horse, Extra Blast, seems to be on his final chance to shape up or be shipped out. If anyone has any news regarding these horses then please blog it as the overseas members are starved of information between the monthly newsletters. I am a frequent blogger on this site but I will not blog again until after 520 entries have been registered. I am hoping that the 500th blog will be a maiden blog from one of our previously silent members.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum