ATC Syndicate Members Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some Change

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Some Change Empty Re: Some Change

Post by ray the beancounter Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:26 pm

The change of trainer to Steve Telfer obviously worked a treat and investment in training fees has seen the horses form improve dramatically with him winning 3 races. I see on the HRNZ website that he has subsequently been exported to Australia so I assume that he has been sold. He has had a couple of unsuccessful race starts in Victoria but will be worth following.
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf Thu May 24, 2018 9:05 pm

Time and being in a hot stable are producing the outcome for what this horse looked capable of occasionally, when in shared A.T.C ownership. His last two runs have been exceptional and many more rewards look in prospect for Rob & Don.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:34 pm

I wasn't at the races last night as I am currently in Wellington so cannot offer any comments on Park Avenue and his next intended race.
As regards Some Change the spell will be enforced due to Geoff Small effectively retiring from training however if a quick decision can be made in conjunction with Rob the 50% owner as to a new trainer then the spell could be shortened to just a freshen up break with him quickly being brought back up to race fitness. He is not tailing off at the end of his races and is hitting the finish line well so a new trainer would surely want him back on y the track within a reasonably short timeframe.
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Disappointing that Park Avenue broke at the start ... any feedback from the driver? Have a look at his sectional times. When will he race next? There is a similar conditions race at Alexandra Park next Friday.
Some Change looks a real stayer in the making ... getting better with racing ... is this the right time for a spell?
Bettors Pocket beaten by breaking and interference.
How did the wind up of ATC 2012 go? Was there a final payout?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:12 pm

It was mentioned at the meetings held this evening that the race this Friday evening for Some Change will likely be his last race this preparation before a spell. While he is having a break a decision will be made in conjunction with Rob Carr as to who will be the new trainer for Some Change. The Dickie’s were mentioned as a possibility and in my humble opinion would be a very good choice.
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:38 pm

Surfie was running on again nicely at Cambridge tonight for 5th. from his usual second row draw.  We await a front row draw, maybe over a longer distance and when that happens another winning turn looks in the offing.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:26 pm

I couldn't agree more barryf. It was an expert drive by David Butcher that won Some Change the race. king

DJB appeared to be quite confident he was on the winner coming around the final bend as he pulled the plugs and had a decent look around him before asking the horse for more. He fooled me into thinking he was going to win running away from them, but with 50m to go I thought he was going to get beat. Nice to see the horse dig in to hold on, even though I wasn't that confident that he had.

The overall sectional times weren't great, but it was a perfect drive on a horse that still has questionable sprinting ability.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:34 pm

A masterly drive by David Butcher saw Surfie get home by the narrowest of margins and earn himself a nice first win bonus.
Extracting the horse from the early 3 back rush was the first master stroke, then, ensuring he didn't get squeezed when the runner up came 3 wide, DJB went to the lead and that proved the winning of the race.

The horse looks like he will need to bulk up a bit more to be able to maintain a strong formline.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:40 pm

Greenness from the mobile was given as the reason for the gallop. Horses on the inside are going slower than those on the outside which work harder to keep up. The car moves relatively slowly to the turn, then speeds up at the "Go!" call. Surfie got out of his gear in the process and David did not persevere thereafter.

So, excused this time but...we are watching you, Surfie! Rolling Eyes

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Ummm - how do you politely describe last nights effort? To break at the commencement of the race and take no part in the event..... Evil or Very Mad
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:57 pm

Well put Barry, very well put...... Giggle
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:48 pm

It's getting like the Agatha Christie thriller , currently on Prime. affraid

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:19 pm

The video is up early showing the workout in which Some Change “participated” in yesterday, and I use that term very loosely.
Can anybody offer any positive comments regarding his effort, as I am struggling to find any.
He paced roughly at the release from the mobile and then almost immediately when into a full blown gallop for 100 metres or more. He then caught up with and stayed on the back of the field and towards the end of the race he struggled to stay with them from the 300 metre mark, finishing a long last.
Why keep taking him back to the workouts when his performances are clearly deteriorating, not improving. Bash Head
Make him two stone lighter as per David Butcher’s suggestion (geld) and send him out for a decent spell.
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:12 pm

Premier driver, David Butcher, travelled up from Cambridge to guide Some Change around the Franklin Raceway track today in his 2050 metres right handed mobile affair.  He settled him in 3rd.place initially and maintained that position until the final straight when he was overtaken by Jack's Legend to finish 4th. with Art of Gold and Oklahoma Thunder filling places 1 and 2.  The other 3 starters were some way behind.

The pace was quite fast for non winners, being run in a reported 2,m35.7 (58.3, 27.7) ,margins- Neck, 1/2 length, 2 1/2 lengths.

David said the horse was on and off- good in parts I guess (like the curate's egg!)
and gave the opinion that he needs racing to learn what is required.
Whether this involves more workouts or actual racing remains to be seen.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Surprisingly I see that Some Change is to line up again tomorrow in a workout. I fully expected to hear that he had been spelled as he looked to be only battling in his workout finishes of late. I would be most surprised to see any drastic improvement in performance - I still think that a wee break would be his best friend at the moment.
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:57 pm

Some Change lined up in a 2050 metres right handed mobile workout for non winners at Franklin track today. From the one draw he settled 3 back in the running for Andrew Sharpe and stayed there before challenging in the run home but did not sustain the rin and finished 4th. of the 5 runners.  Winning time was 2m37.2, M/R 2m03.3, fractionals in 58s. and 27.8s.Margins 1 1/2L., 2 1/2l.

Trainer, Geoff Small, was a little disappointed in the run and thinks he may have plateaued. A spell looms as a possibility.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:58 pm

I get the feeling that Geoff is also struggling to get a handle on where Some Change is at too, as there was a fair bit of head scratching going on after his latest workout run.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:19 pm

Barry, I agree with you in that the first two (Miss Kitty and Some Change) would garner the most benefit from extra time rather than being put onto the race track too early.
Kitty was weak in her last 400m of her trial. She clearly has some ability but it is the final 400m of a race where the stronger horses can still keep going and pick up the all important stakes earnings - we do not want to mould her into an "also-ran" she is too good for that. Zac can see that from driving her, yet Barry wants to try another workout before making a decision on her immediate racing future. Seems like a bit of a power play with the boss having the final word.
Some Change - look I just cannot get a good handle on where he is at, at the moment. Some runs look exceptional yet others look ordinary.
On a very bright note is Jack. He only needed the one workout run and is ready to race. He hit the line well in his workout on Saturday and would have to be a good chance in his race on Friday evening.
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:04 pm

Thanks Conwell.

Looks like the first two have a fair way to go yet.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:25 pm

Trial and workout video from Franklin yesterday are up on the HRNZ website.

Feedback from the trainers/drivers were as follows:

Miss Kitty - Zac Butcher was happy enough with her effort but advised that he still thinks she's a bit weak. Zac's going to discuss with Barry, but he thinks she needs another short spell of 6-8 weeks and to target racing in the later half of the season.

Some Change - Geoff Small was annoyed with how things panned out as Surfie struck a wheel coming around the last bend and lost momentum. He was hoping to use yesterday's workout to gauge where Surfie was at but now he is still unsure whether he's still improving or whether he's plateaued and might need a freshen up. Geoff's going to make a call on Monday as to whether he pushes on and races next Friday or not.

The Faithful - Sean Grayling was pleased with the workout run and advised that Jack will resume racing this coming Friday, probably in the 2200m mobile rather than the 2700m stand. I see from the conditions of the 2200m mobile that as a rating 85 assessed horse he will need to be driven by a junior driver (assumedly Sean) and will be given the worst barrier as it's a preferential barrier draw based on rating.

Last edited by Conwell on Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:50 am

I am looking forward to seeing Miss Kitty at the trials as her mother was very impressive for the Dalgetty stable before retiring unraced. Also great to see The Faithful back in public. Hopefully he has not lost his great racing ethic and can finally draw a barrier in a big race. Some Change was driven for experience in his last trial according to reports. I hope that he did not enjoy the experience of trailing the field home and will not wish to repeat that experience on race days. Risk won well at Gloucester Park tonight and Major Star poured on the pressure again mid race to finish fourth at Melton. Why do they always drive Major Star like he is Pure Steel?
Keen to hear any first hand reports from the trials.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:54 am

Yes Des, I was not aware the trials would show up there first- thanks.
Looked a soft first up run which is not unusual in a first try right handed.  I would expect more next time up.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:35 am

Go to HRNZ website ... Workout results ... Results on your mobile phone ... and it is listed there under Auckland 13/8/16.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:46 pm

Interesting that, just for the record, there are no results from Franklin up on the HRNZ website at this moment.

I don't think this is the first time it has happened.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:03 pm

The replay of the trial on the HRNZ website showed what appears to be an extremely disappointing workout by Some Change after the good reports to date. Are there any circumstances that I am not aware of or is it, as it appears on face value to be, an ordinary effort? Roll on Ideal Belle and The Faithful to generate a little excitement.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next