ATC Syndicate Members Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Faithful

+5
nealclan
Des Carruthers
David Young
barryf
ray the beancounter
9 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Faithful - Page 8 Empty Re: The Faithful

Post by ray the beancounter Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:56 pm

I have just had a look at the field for Friday evening and I see that Jacks wide draw of 7 just became a great deal easier with 3 scratchings inside him - now meaning a start from gate 4. An 11 horse field now becomes an 8 horse field with 5 horses starting off the front row and 3 on the second row.
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi Des – it is sad to see any horses racing career shortened due to injury, but Raksdeal will make a worthy broodmare.
Of the others that you have listed Lancewood Lizzy and The Orange Agent are clear and definite dangers to Belle. Willow will no doubt come back strong as do all Mark Purdon trained horses, but she is an unknown threat at this stage having not been seen since the Jewels at the end of May.

As to Venus Serena, in my opinion they are racing the guts out of her. Venus's last 14 race day starts have been in Group races and her last two races showed that she is not the machine that they thought she was. A worthy mentor once told me that there are “different levels of greed” and 14 group races in a row with a current view to starting in the NZ Cup doesn't seem to be in the horses best interests.
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:48 pm

Thank you for the Ideal Belle update ray the beancounter and Conwell, it sounds highly promising. The little yellow guy at the end of Conwell's comment made me laugh. I see Raksdeal has been retired leaving Venus Serena, Willow, Lancewood Lizzie and The Orange Agent as Ideal Belle's main rivals in the upcoming high class mares races.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:27 pm

Yes, the word from Sean Grayling on Friday was that Belle is training 'scary good' at the moment and appears to be back to her usual self. She is expected to be at the workouts this weekend. Yahoo

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi Des, I wasn't on site for Jacks race last Friday night but a little birdy that was there in the stable area advises that the word from the Barry Purdon stablehands is that Belle will be at the workouts this coming weekend and that she is rearing to go. Check the HRNZ workouts fields that will be published Friday afternoon.
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:39 pm

Another interesting race this Friday with the best drive likely to win from a number of candidates. Although it is a C2-C4 and we are only C2, last weeks C1-C2 was stronger. The Faithful is now ranked second in the Harness Jewels 4yo male division and ninth overall throughout N.Z. in money earned this season. Hopefully he can do the job again and earn enough to just about lock away a Jewels spot already. The 50% win stake bonus would also be handy. Does anyone have an update on Ideal Belle?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:16 am

The Faithful is the most consistent horse that I have been associated with. He is now proving to be versatile with gate speed and an ability to sprint after leading and he also retains his sit sprint racing style. I believe that there is a good race or two in him and look forward to him being given the chance to show it.
P.S. Ideal Belle is not too bad either.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:48 pm

That was a top win by Jack tonight in a small, but very high quality, field.
Wave Cheers Wave
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ShayneO Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:42 pm

Looks like 80% of the field will be driven by members of the Butcher family... Let's hope the right Butcher wins.

ShayneO

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:51 pm

I agree Des the class of the field is outstanding. It has whittled down in numbers with two scratchings to leave a field of only 5, but in my opinion there are 4 horses in there that can all win with the right run (numbers 3,4,5, and 7). It is going to be a lottery as to who wins this one Fingers Crossed .
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:20 pm

What a good race. The highest standard C1-C2 race that I can remember.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:29 pm

It has certainly been a bit quiet for the past week or so.

It is my understanding that The Faithful will likely race this coming Friday, the 9th, at Alexandra Park and then if all okay will backup by racing again on the syndicate dinner night of the 16th. Check the nominations that will available on the HRNZ website shortly after 11am Monday morning.

As to Belle I understand that all concerned are very happy with her progress, so much so that she may make an appearance slightly earlier than originally anticipated. It is getting to the point that I check workouts and race noms fields for her name at the moment as she can’t be too far away from making an appearance.

On the topic of the 2016 syndicate horses I can only go by the latest monthly newsletter. Miss Kitty (Barry Purdon) has been in work this prep for 2 months and is doing very nicely - the next 4 weeks will tell whether she races as a 2 year old. Extra Blast (Tony Herlihy) is having break-in and prelim work done by Todd MacFarlane but is taking a while to get the gist of what the pacing game is all about – after a spell he has only been back in work for a couple of weeks so they are hoping for an improved effort. Some Change (Geoff Small) is a little behind the progress of other similar age horses and according to the Sept newsletter was likely sent for a spell at the end of September. So in summary two horses in work, one of which may race as a 2 year old, and one spelling.

Major Star is back home again and will concentrate on Auckland racing in November / December after suffering from a likely respiratory infection after his dismal 13th placing at Addington. He coughed whilst being loaded onto the float to be taken back to the stables after the race - a sign that all was not well with him. Any further thoughts of racing on at Addington were abandoned.
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:50 pm

This discussion forum has been very quiet for a week or so. Does anybody have any news about our horses, particularly Ideal Belle and the 2016 horses? Has the NZ Cup plan been abandoned for Major Star? Is The Faithful going to be nominated to race this week?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:52 am

The sectional timing has The Faithful running his last mile in 1.57.1 (2700m) which was only beaten on the night by Group 1 horse Besotted who ran a last mile in 1.56.7 (2200m) and compares favourably with Ohoka Punter, who also led, and ran his last mile in 1.58.6 (2200m). Stable connections say that The Faithful follows speed very well but these times show that he can produce speed as well.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:27 am

What impressed most was the gate speed he showed at the start and the kick he displayed in the last 100 metres in a race where the pace was good throughout.

His time of 3m 20.4 would have won some recent Auckland Cups, including those of Monkey King and The Mighty Quinn (2013) so that augurs well for further success over the longer trips particularly.

A very well judged drive by Sean Grayling, taking bad luck out of the equation.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:34 pm

A great win by The Faithful. Leading (for the first time ), 2700m, won untouched by 5 lengths. It would have been great to witness for those syndicate members on course. The Faithful is now in the top few money earners amongst the 4yo male horses for the current season and remains a C1 with today being an assessment free race. This is a lower mark than at the commencement of the season so he has been placed very well by Barry Purdon. I particularly enjoyed the interview with Sean Grayling on the Alexandra Park website. He looked a complete horse today and Sean said that he jogged it in.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:43 pm

The 6 day turnaround from his prior start may not have helped. There are no races at Alexandra Park this week with the next being scheduled for Friday 18th Sept. This will give Jack a 15 day spacing between races.
They could have run him at Cambridge this coming Thursday (10th) but I for one am pleased that they are not doing so. Not when the Cambridge stake in the C1 race is only $6,000 - much better to wait another 8 days and have a go at a $13,500 C1 race.
Especially when the handicapping system would raise Jack up to a C2 if he were to win either. That is just a moan of mine for another day - the foolish handicapping system that we have to live with here whereby a winner of a $5,000 grass track race faces that same rise through the grades as a winner of a $20,000 race at Alexandra Park - totally ridiculous....
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:26 pm

Another very nice performance by The Faithful that seemed a little disappointing at first but further analysis is more positive.
* Christen Me won at Addington the day after and the report stated that he "flew over the last 800m in a slick 56 seconds." The Faithful ran his last 800m in 56.1 and was beaten by El Jacko running 55.8 for his last 800m.
* They beat the rest of the field easily.
* The Faithful earned $2700 for second and remains a C1 with stake earnings now over $50,000.
Could anybody who watches the Major Star trial at Franklin today please post a mini report on his performance.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:00 pm

Plenty to read about in the Stewards report from last night...

Junior driver S Grayling (THE FAITHFUL - favourite) was queried regarding the tactics he adopted during this event; firstly in relation to his decision to hand up the lead to HADRIAN entering the back straight the first time and then as to whether he would have been better served to have shifted out from the trail behind HADRIAN entering the back straight the final time to secure clear running. Mr Grayling, assisted by senior driver A Matthews, stated that he had been given no driving instructions by connections and that after working early to hold the lead he elected to hand up to HADRIAN given that gelding's recent form line, and in particular as it had won recently on 17 July at Alexandra Park when leading. Mr Grayling further stated that he was mindful that this was THE FAITHFUL's first race for over two months and that he felt that this was his best option to take a trail on HADRIAN as THE FAITHFUL had raced well when driven with a trail previously. He further explained that he had been content to remain in the trail when ELLIOT DANIEL commenced to give ground passing the 800 metres as HADRIAN had been able to ease the tempo during the middle stages and appeared to be travelling comfortably under restraint, however passing the 700 metres when LOFTY BROGDEN improved to be racing forward of THE FAITHFUL, HADRIAN then commenced to give ground which placed THE FAITHFUL in restricted room for some distance before he was able to work into clear running on the final turn. After considering the matter, Stewards noted Mr Grayling's explanation as it was felt that the manner in which he had driven was not so unreasonable given the circumstances as to be deserving of penalty.

According to the times mentioned in the commentary they went a pretty slick leadtime of 41.4, but then very comfortable quarters of 32 and 33.5 for the first half. So there was certainly an easing of the tempo through the middle stages and no real reason to expect the the leader to fade with 700m left to run.

Anyway, hindsight is a great thing and great to see Jack back and looking refreshed.

Syndicate win #200 keeps eluding us for the time being......but I have a feeling it won't for much longer. Wink

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:56 am

Yes, I agree Des, I also think that with a bit of luck in the running that The Faithful will win one of the "better" races. He has a lethal sprint at the end of a race as shown last night the way he weaved through from the back and only went down a short margin into second.
Last night Sean Grayling had to make a call as to whether to stay in behind Hadrian or not. Hadrian is a renowned front runner and won a race at Alexandra Park very recently using the same tactics and that was over 2700m. Sean would have fully expected Hadrian to carry him to the passing lane and for Hadrian to capitulate the way he did with still 600m to run in a 2200m race would have to have been a bit of an unwelcomed surprise. Jack was beaten by circumstance, not ability or driving skill.
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:07 am

The three ' best things beaten ' that I have seen are all syndicate horses. If you think that The Faithful should have won at Cambridge today, check out Major Star at Kapti Coast 17/1/14 and Ideal Belle at Addington 10/5/14. I am greatly looking forward to the future with The Faithful. I think that with luck in running, he is capable of winning a good quality race.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:38 pm

I wasn't at the workouts to see him on Saturday and can only go by the workout results shown on HRNZ which look pretty good when compared to other times run on the day.
Jack has to be a good chance in tomorrow nights race at Cambridge with the other main contenders being Ares (3), Zakspatrol (7), and No Way Else (10). Yes it is a junior drivers race and anything can happen and will likely be run at a fast pace - but Sean Grayling is a sensible young bloke and I am sure that he will give him every opportunity. He is not likely to want to stuff up the drive as it would not be every day that he gets to drive a derby contender and he will be wanting to impress his boss in order to get other good drives.

The weather is a bit of a concern as it is raining tonight in Auckland and is predicted to get a lot heavier overnight and through tomorrow morning. If the forecasters are correct it "should" clear around midday so with luck the track at Cambridge will dry out a bit as Jack put in a shocker run on a sticky track at Addington just before the derby so appears not to like it wet underfoot.
ray the beancounter
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:40 pm

Looking forward to watching The Faithful on Thursday. Barrier 1 ... Junior driver ... Trial form good. Does anyone have a report on last Saturday's trial at Franklin?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:56 pm

Des, I can answer that one for you.
Due to the fact that this single forum covers horses and issues of more than one syndicate it is an unofficial forum that has not been officially sanctioned by "management" and is thus not being promoted by management for use by syndicate members. The "privacy issues" are stopping the forum from being advertised by management to members to use.

We can thus only (at this stage) rely upon word of mouth to get the existence of the forum out to syndicate members as it is not likely to be currently promoted in the monthly newsletters. Hence the number of members involved in the forum is low but I live in hope that it will eventually grow.

I agree that it is a waste of an ideal opportunity to get more discussion and opinion underway from syndicate members that are in geographically diverse locations. scratch

To get around the privacy issue relative to each syndicate would mean the creation and maintenance of a forum for each separate syndicate. We have the 2012 / 2014 / 2016 syndicates currently in existence, hence three separate forums would be required and three logins required for members that are in all of the syndicates. It is not practical.
Thanks, but no thanks, I do not have the time to create and maintain three separate forums - it was difficult enough and time consuming enough to get this one up and operating. So we need to try and expand our membership and use of the forum ourselves.

I have been involved in 5 syndicates to date and this is the only forum that I am aware of that has been created for this purpose by syndicate members. I am
not aware of any "official" efforts being made to solve the problem of syndicate members being isolated without being able to discuss issues between themselves.

Forum members can try lobbying our syndicate manager to try and expand our number of forum contributors.

Admin (Ray)
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://atcsyndicatemembers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:36 pm

Thank you nealclan for your trials report. It is certainly appreciated as living in Western Australia I do not get the opportunity to attend and if there is no video, as is often the case at Franklin, then I have to wait until the next newsletter for information about how the syndicate horses have trialled. I don't know why more syndicate members are not using this discussion forum as it is an excellent source of information and opinion.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next